Monday, 13 November 2017

Rach Eats Lunch: Lemon Curd Chicken & Special Fried Rice

Lemon Curd Chicken and Special Fried Rice recipe UK


After what was essentially the roughest week ever last week, I feel as if I've got back on top of things today. I've slept rather well (and didn't wake up in too much pain - which at first led me to think I was still asleep) and I've been getting all my jobs done in time. And I made a fabulous recipe that I simply devoured at lunch time. I am obsessed. Well and truly. Puff pastry, I might add (if you've seen my cheese and apple plait recipe), is so much fun to watch in the oven, it actually puts the telly to shame! (I think most things put the telly to shame, to be honest.) One minute it's all flat, the next it's puffed up, hands in the air like it just doesn't care. And oh boy, the layers. It's all about those paper-thin, puffy light layers. I can't get enough of puff pastry right now.

So, today's recipe is less of a lunch and more of a dinner - I don't suppose you've ever heard of the term fakeaway before, right? Think of a takeaway, except it's quick, easy and made at home. And it's healthy. Usually. Well, the rice is. My favourite Chinese takeaway ever is smoked shredded chicken, but I have a real love for lemon chicken too. It's sweet, it's sticky, it's saucy and it's best served with a side of boiled white rice. Except today, I'm frying it with vegetables. Does this make sense yet? I'm cooking my second favourite Chinese takeaway with a side of rice that isn't just boiled plain rice? No? I don't know either, but you're going to need a jar of lemon curd. Quickly, before this gets completely confusing.




print recipe

Lemon Curd Chicken & Special Fried Rice
Fakeaway at its' finest.
Ingredients
  • 1 chicken breast, frozen
  • 100g lemon curd
  • 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
  • 1 packet microwave plain white rice
  • 1 large handful mixed peppers, diced
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Instructions
Start off by lining a baking tray and preheating the oven to 180℃. Find a small rectangular roasting dish from the cupboard too, as you're going to need it. Once the oven's hot, stick the chicken breast on the tray and pop it straight in the oven for 15 minutes.Zest the lemon and pop the lemon half on a plate. Microwave it for a minute. Using tongs, squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl, removing any pips. Add the zest and the lemon curd and give it a really good stir until fully combined.Remove the chicken from the oven and chop it into bitesized chunks. Put it straight in the roasting dish and pour over the lemon curd mixture. Mix it up and put it straight in the oven again for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and very hot. You'll need to stir the sauce up again as it will separate and go watery.At the 25 minute mark of cooking, it's time to make our fried rice. Heat a saucepan on medium-high and add a tablespoon of olive oil, swirling it about so that it is completely coated. Next, add the rice, vegetables and spices, and get stirring. Stir it constantly, making sure everything gets fried and is completely piping hot all the way through. The veggies should still be a bit crunchy, which is fine.Remove the rice from the heat and add to a plate, making a well in the middle for the chicken. Spoon the lemon chicken into the well, garnish with a bit of parsley, and serve straight away! This dish cannot be reheated for obvious reasons.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 1


Oof. I loved that! Citrussy food will always have my heart, and the addition of lemon curd is completely unexpected and totally genius. It tastes exactly as it does from the Chinese takeaway, which is quite something! Give it a go, as always, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?