Friday, 6 October 2017

Rach Eats Lunch: Curried Sweet Potato Soup

Easy curried sweet potato soup


Sometimes things just feel right: like slipper socks freshly warmed on the radiator, or cold fresh orange juice with breakfast. Or a double chocolate cookie from Lidl. I'm still waiting for my lifetime supply, by the way. You may know well by now that I'm not particularly a soupy person. Meals have got to have some stodge to them so that they feel completely satisfying. But, having said that, I don't always rule out the possibility of eating soup. When you feel rough or just in need of something light, soup's your babe. (or your man, or your woman, or your uncle - gendering soup sounds wrong, man!)

This recipe is based on the sweet potato pasta I made the other week, however I've given it a hint of spicyness to thoroughly warm your soul. There's also my absolute favourite thing to dip in soup on the side, too. A good old-fashioned slice of garlic bread. Sometimes, you've just got to (and other things to dip are available - have you tried making your own flatbreads?)




print recipe

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
A sweet and spicy soup, perfect for keeping you warm
Ingredients
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 100g chickpeas
  • 1/2 diced red onion
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, salt and pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 75ml boiled water (approx.)
  • 10g grated mature cheddar (optional)
  • 1 slice garlic bread, toasted
Instructions
Line a baking tray and heat the oven to 180℃. Peel, wash and cube the sweet potato, pop it on the baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil, ensuring it gets coated all over. Put the baking tray in the oven for half an hour, turning throughout until it's soft.Chop up the onion and add to a saucepan along with the chickpeas, soy sauce and spices. Remove the sweet potato from the oven and add to the pan, along with a splash of boiling hot water. Take the soup off the stove, onto a trivet, and blend it down with a stick blender until completely smooth. You may wish to add more hot water, if so add a further teaspoon of soy sauce. Transfer the saucepan back to the stove and heat on high for about fifteen to twenty minutes until completely warmed through. Stir constantly.Toast the garlic bread if desired, then give the soup one last good stir and add to the bowl. You may wish to season it a little to taste, and top it with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese or maybe even some roasted chickpeas? Whatever you choose, serve it immediately.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 1 - double up per person


Corrrrr blimey me. I know when I made the sweet potato pasta a while ago I said I wanted to eat it with a spoon... here's my chance! I'm going in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?