Friday, 20 October 2017

Rach Eats Lunch: Cheesy Greens Soup

Cheesy Greens soup recipe budget recipe


Today I feel way, way better. Not perfect (is life with CFS ever perfect?), but better. I've got a full belly (full of Wednesday's lunch - sausage roll!) and ideas forming in my head of how I'm going to work this recipe. That's the best bits of recipe development, actually: coming up with a plan. Truth be told, it's trial and error, and I tend to run my recipes on post it notes. I'll go down and cook said recipes and mark them up so that I can come back here and edit my first/second/third/one millionth draft before I publish it. It's not usually the quantities that get a good tweaking. Often it's the addition of a new ingredient or a change to the cooking time. Don't say I'm never accurate, eh? Also, the second best bit of recipe development is, rather obviously, the eating. Mmm, food.

Today's recipe is a soup. We are very nearly at the end of October now, which means we're hurtling towards Halloween (woooo - I love Halloween!) and Bonfire Night, so you're going to need quickie recipes ready for both evenings. I'm coming up with ideas (just call it recipe development) ready for those nights, so keep your eyes open! Now, today - I've called it Cheesy Greens because three of the best green vegetables appear in this soup. And everybody needs a bit of cheese in their lives. We're also making a very fancy-pants yet incredibly simple topping for this soup too. All you need is cheese and a grill. Right, aprons on, let's go.




print recipe

Cheesy Greens soup
It's the easiest way of getting the finest green veggies in your diet - it features cheese!
Ingredients
  • 1/2 small courgette, sliced
  • 100g frozen peas
  • 100g celery, washed and sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 50ml boiled water
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, salt and pepper
  • 30g grated strong cheddar cheese
  • 10g feta cheese
  • 15g grated cheddar cheese (for the topping)
Instructions
Prepare the vegetables and pop them all in a saucepan. Boil until the vegetables are all tender (about twenty minutes), then drain the water.Add in the boiling water, garlic, salt, pepper and the soy sauce. Blend until completely smooth and return to the hob, heating the soup until piping hot.Once the soup is ready, add 50g of cheddar and 20g of feta, and stir really well until completely combined. The feta will create small lumps, which is completely normal. Taste, season if needed, then put the lid on and leave the soup on a low heat to keep it warm.On a lined baking tray, add 15g of grated cheddar cheese. Spread it out a little, then grill it until completely melted and browning at the edges. Take it out from under the grill and allow it to cool a bit.Spoon the soup into a bowl. Peel the cheese away from the baking paper (it's surprisingly easy) and gently float it on top of the soup. Serve straight away. You might fancy dipping cheesy garlic bread, or maybe even a cheese quesadilla, into the soup...
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 1 - double up per person eating


And with that, you have a super cheesy, super greeny soup. It was totally delicious and I savoured every last drop - I loved how the cheese mingles with the delicate flavours of the greens. You should definitely give this one a go. Promise. Happy weekend, everybody!


Celery, pea and courgette soup recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?