Monday, 2 October 2017

Rach Eats Lunch: Cheesy Baked Omelette Cups, Wedges and Salad

Easy baked omelette cups and wedges recipe


Thirty days have September... wait, thirty days have September? It's October? Really?! I can hardly believe it. I think it's officially Autumn now, isn't it? In my heart of hearts I wish it was summer all the time. I know it's not even possible, because of gravity and whatnot, and what it would do to the environment, but... light evenings are lovely and I'd quite like to keep them, thank you. I mean, how am I going to go for an evening walk in the woods or pop out without a coat on now? Well, I could, but I'd need to wear a headtorch. And I think it's frowned upon to be bare-armed in the winter months, unless you're a postman/woman. Permission to stomp my feet about the upcoming colder months, please? It's not fair!

In a very half-baked (I see what you did there, Rach) bid to hang on to the summer, I'm making an easy egg-based, summery recipe to use up the eggs in our fridge. They're technically out the day after, so it's best just to use them up now while the going's good. Because so many of the quiche recipes I've created so far have fallen flat on the taste front, I am going to be extra good and leave out the milk or any liquid. And I'm going to season it half to death so that I can taste something. Is it a sign of getting old that my tastebuds want everything to be covered in salt and pepper? Anyway, these omelette cups are cups for a reason, because I'm serving them in cupcake cases. (Bagsy the pink one!) If you plan on making this recipe, sillicon cupcake cases are the best ones to use as they're easier to remove the omelette cups from. The paper ones will burn your fingers and cause much swearing...




print recipe

Cheesy Baked Omelette Cups
A family friendly recipe, these cheesy omelette bites go down perfectly with wedges, salad and a cheeky bit of tomato sauce.
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 40g grated cheddar cheese
  • 10g feta cheese
  • 1 small handful finely diced mixed peppers
  • 1 ham/vegetarian ham-style slice, sliced into three rectangles
  • 1 teaspoon ground salt, pepper and garlic
  • 1 cooked jacket potato
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 sprinkle ground salt
  • 1 large handful lettuce
  • 1 tablespoon tomato sauce (optional)
Instructions
Put the jacket potato in the microwave according to cooking instructions. Allow it to cool thoroughly so that it sets together.Beat together two eggs in a jug. Add the cheddar cheese, garlic, and a LOT of salt and pepper and give it a really good stir.Line a muffin tin with three cake cases - paper or sillicon, doesn't matter. Add a slice of ham to the bottom of each cake case, folding it around the edges. Pour over the egg mixture, making sure each cake case is even. Finish off by adding the diced peppers and a crumble of feta cheese to each one.Preheat the oven to 180℃. Cut the jacket potato into wedges and add to a lined baking tray. Drizzle over the oil and the salt. Put the wedges in the oven for at least 30-35 minutes. Turn them throughout the cooking time.At the halfway point of cooking (about fifteen minutes in), add the egg muffins. Bake them for roughly 15-17 minutes until completely set and not watery or wobbly.Arrange some salad on a plate, and once the wedges are brown and crispy, remove the egg cups and wedges from the oven. Give the egg cups a minute or two to settle before removing them from the cake cases. Put the egg cups and wedges on the plate and eat immediately with a dollop of tomato sauce.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 1 - makes three omelette cups (double up per person)

I really enjoyed this recipe - I think seasoning (and using no liquid) is the key to making baked egg dishes work. I also love the slice of ham at the bottom too - nice little hidden surprise that adds a good bit of taste! I reckon kids would enjoy this meal too. What do you think?

Easy baked omelette cups and wedges recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?