Friday, 28 July 2017

Treat Me: Spicy Paprika Hummus



While Rach Eats Lunch is away, the snacks shall play. You didn't honestly think I was going to leave you with zero Rach action over the summer, did you? Although there may be titbits here and there... I quite like talking to the internet, even though I'm not quite entirely sure that many people read my thoughts. If you do, can you comment me? Just prove there's someone? (I also accept free stuff and would seriously love to work with brands... just saying, you know where my email is if you want to work with me!) Anyways, I'm giving you all a short, and extremely sweet blog series to keep you tied over until I come back in September. We're talking treats! Snacks! Elevenses! Desserts! Little-inbetween-meals meals! Yes, I am doing this. I have six recipes (one for each week of the holidays), some are nice, others extremely naughty, every single one delicious. And, incredibly, they're all suitable for baking and creating with kids, so... for all the Mums and Dads looking after their children during the six week holidays, I've got you. For about an hour, anyway. The rest I guess is up to you.

Easy SW Slimming World syn free hummus recipe

This week, we're making hummus. I've made it so many times before (um, twice) that the recipe quantities are almost second nature to me. I was meant to add just a teaspoon of paprika the second time but I overshot it by about three times the amount. Typical me. Anyways, as it's the hot paprika rather than your average, earthy spice, I was panicking about just how hot this hummus would turn out. In fact, it's way better than I could have imagined, even though it's a very obvious shade of orange. One thing I will tell everyone is that homemade hummus is totally different to the one you get in the shops - it's more butter-like than the thin, easily spreadable stuff you can buy in the shops. And I think it's all the better for it! Obviously this can go on toast, and in sandwiches, and eaten alongside pitta bread and dipping crackers. It's super duper cheap to make as well - about 40p for a tin of chickpeas, and about £1.50 for the initial outlay of spices and lemon juice. (You can use the whole can of chickpeas - even the water it comes in! Waste not want not and all that.) As for garlic, I use garlic granules at the grand cost of 60p which means I always have it on hand. It might not be cloves but it's close enough.

Drain a can of chickpeas over a bowl to catch the aquafaba if you plan to use it for vegan egg whites. Next, add the chickpeas to a blender, along with two tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of lemon juice, a big tablespoon of paprika, a tablespoon of garlic granules, and a tablespoon of salt. Begin to blend the chickpeas, shaking the blender occasionally and stirring the stuff on top to mix with the stuff below. Please, for the love of god, turn the blender off while you stir the stuff on top. Health and safety! Blend it up until completely smooth, adding a bit more lemon juice/oil if required. Allow to cool before eating, as the blender will warm it up. This can be stored in the fridge for about 48 hours.

Hummus is the absolute best, guys, and I guess you're covered if there's ever a national shortage, like there was a few months back! Let me know what you think - what's your favourite thing to eat with hummus?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?