The Awesome Lady | UK Photography & Lifestyle Blog: Book Review: Real Life Family Photography by Amy Drucker

Monday, 15 August 2016

Book Review: Real Life Family Photography by Amy Drucker

IMG_1655.jpg

As regular visitors to my blog might have spotted, I do an awful lot of outdoors/still life photography featuring objects or places I love. Photographing people and animals isn't really my strong point, probably because I don't often have enough opportunities to do it! Recently I was asked to photograph a school picnic, something I was both really excited and nervous for, and something I actually did some swotting up online for... remembering how shutter speeds work, and trying to work out the best shutter speed for photographing movement like a country dancing performance and, well, kids being kids, really! (If you're wondering, go for 1/640 as it freezes most movement into perfect motion) The photographs came out brilliantly and had loads of compliments, but there's some occasions where you need that little extra support, a little word in your ear and some helpful advice - especially where family photography is concerned.

Enter this book!

IMG_1660.jpg

Amy Drucker's book covers every age and stage of family photography - from babies, to toddlers, right through to young children, tweens (eight to twelve year olds) and teenagers. The photography on offer is absolutely beautiful - so much cuteness in one book, and so many lovely moments captured.

The book starts off with a section on photography - the basics, such as lighting, aperature, shutter speed, composition, right through to picking the perfect camera and how to edit and store photos. I thought this section was absolutely brilliant - a really good explanation for beginner photographers getting to grips with their cameras. I'm also really pleased that this section was at the beginning of the book, as it gets you thinking and gets you started quicker. It really encourages you to keep a camera close by ready to snap those important moments!

IMG_1666.jpg

Then the book moves through the stages and milestones of children - from the newborn days, to babies enjoying food (particularly loved the baby trying a slice of lemon!), through to toddlers exploring and playing. Throughout the sections, there's helpful advice on composition, storytelling and perspective to help provide beautiful memories for years to come.

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

There's even helpful advice on photographing tweens and teens - I also really love the photography here as it's natural and relaxed. There's a section on photographing families - both natural, casual unposed photography and the more traditional group portraits, and a lovely little section about some of the most important members of the family - pets!

This book is just wonderful - it's beautifully designed and packed full of amazing photographs - I've really enjoyed reading through this book and have learned lots of helpful tips ready for the next time I need to photograph a group of young people and their families. I fully recommend this book for any parents who would like to learn how to capture the important moments in their children's lives.

You can buy this lovely book here at Amazon!


With huge thanks to Octopus Books for providing me with a review copy of this book - all opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?