Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Adventures: The Art Of The Nine Present Shuffle

Do you have any Christmas traditions? We do. There's the little things, like the annual huge-walk-in-the-woods-after-dinner (which I always love, it's great to walk off all that turkey and have a laugh and a chat along the way!), then there's the bigger things, like the personalised gift tags I make for my family every year. For the past few years, our family has done a fantastic spin on Secret Santa, which my Mum came up with. In fact, it's so much fun, I want to share it all with you today. Ladies and gentlemen, here is an introduction to the Nine (or Twelve, or Fifteen, or...) Present Shuffle!

The Rules:

1. Each person participating must buy three presents totalling no more than £5.
2. They must buy three presents for each person in the house, including themselves!
3. They must keep their gifts a secret until Christmas Day, and they must be wrapped!
4. Presents can be useful, funny, cool, based on family jokes, edible or smelly (I mean toiletries, not raw fish or anything)... anything you like, but it must be suitable for that person!
5. On Christmas Day, after breakfast, Christmas dinner, and tea, you must give out one present for each person from your three present selection, including yourself!

The Nine Present Shuffle (as there's three of us) is the highlight of Christmas for me. On the run up to Christmas there's scheming, plotting, and much research online. There's dashing around shops, begging my brother or my Mum to "Cover me!" as I run for the nearest till and then there's the joy of hiding the presents afterwards! Oh, and there's the conferring. "Do you think they'll like this?" "Shall we swap presents?" It can be frustrating at times, trying to find something amazing for your family! But there is much amusement to be had! I always think the Nine Present Shuffle adds a bit more mystery and anticipation to Christmas Day, and that's why it's fun!

With that in mind, I've been browsing online and have found some three-for-£5 awesomeness if you fancy giving it a go yourself! (Mine's all finished and wrapped up now - thank goodness!) Have a look at this:

Secret Santa Ideas



It's easy if you've got a lady in your life to buy for - there's loads in the shops. If she lives in Wales, or if she's just got a lot to carry around, a tote bag is perfect! I love the Unicorn and the London-print totes from New Look and the bag from Tiger declaring why it's important to recycle. You can't go wrong with a mug if she loves hot drinks, and these mugs from Asda Home are so stylish! I'm a bit obsessed with zig zags and polka dots... Lately there's been several new budget beauty ranges that have appeared on the high street. There's the Primark range, and New Look has also launched one too. I love this metallic blue nail polish! Speaking of smelly stuff, Treacle Moon sell great showergels which are sold in huge bottles and smell gorgeous. Oh, and they're always on offer in Tesco too. Socks are always welcome, especially Christmassy ones, and if she's a creative type (like yours truly), Paperchase sell sheets of cool stickers which will be perfect for a scrapbook or visual diary. If you're really stuck, the best shop ever has to be Tiger. I'm sure you might have walked past one or have spotted one in your nearest big city (hola, Cardiff!) - they are pretty much the best place for budget items for under a fiver. How about mini heart-shaped oven dishes, an octopus head massager, or a magnifying glass? There's even a very wonky teaspoon...

More Secret Santa Ideas


Hot Wheels Die Cast Car Assorted / Tesco Go Create Mini Calculator - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Tesco Bloom Polypropylene Roses Doc Wallet - Groceries - Tesco... / Tesco Rendezvous Oversized Eraser - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Tesco Camomile Tea Bags 20'S 30G / Flying Circus Magic Cup And Ball - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / F&F Fleece Gloves / Tesco Pret-A-Porter A5 Notebook - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Marvel Icons Small Stationery Set - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Cadbury Medium Selection Pack 92G / Hello Kitty Hot Hand Warmer 1 Pair - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Tesco Gogo Stand Up Calendar - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Lynx Africa Shower Gel 250Ml - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Tesco Rendezvous A4 Stitch Bound Jotter Book - Groceries - Tesco... / Tesco Bloom Thick Stripe Ringbinder - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Monkey Pencil Topper - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / F&F Glitter Skinny Tie / Chilli Lolly - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Keylight - Groceries - Tesco Groceries / Tesco Go Create Mini Printed Pencil Case Floral - Groceries - Tesco... / Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash 150Ml - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Men, eh? (No, I do not make sweeping generalisations about them here...) They can be one of the more trickier genders to buy for, and that's probably because there isn't half as much stuff in the shops to buy them! Even so, I've still managed to find loads of ideas. Face wash, shower gel, a glittery black tie, gloves and a torch to clip to their keys. In sillier news, if they love spicy food, they'll probably love to try a chilli lollipop from Tesco! (Or they may immediately regret their decision afterwards, depends!) And if they fancy revisiting their childhood, how about a Hot Wheels car, a cup and ball game, or a Marvel stationery set?

It's fairly universal but selection boxes are always a good idea, and if they're a tea lover, how about a new flavour to add to their collection? I know I've picked bog-standard chamomile tea here, but there's loads more in your local supermarket.

Primark is one of my favourite places for Nine Present Shuffle-shopping. I love their homeware section, which is where this penguin flannel and the mini hot water bottle-shaped handwarmer came from! If you know someone who loves Hello Kitty, they also sell handwarmers now. I also like the glittery gold bracelet, and if you know someone who owns or would love to own a pomerian (or who just loves Boo the dog!), there's some really cute socks for sale, too! Speaking of slipper socks, you can also own a pair with Santa on!

I went crazy in the stationery department in Tesco - my other favourite supermarkets to check out include Sainsburys and Asda. Their notebooks are really gorgeous. Of course I'm going to say just how much I adore the chevron notebook, but they also sell a lovely stripy ringbinder, floral folder and a paisley notebook too. There's a cute mini pencil case, a 2015 calendar, an eraser and a frog calculator. I love the gorilla pencil toppers! Perfect for kids, in my opinion. (And me. Especially me!)

I hope you enjoyed my selection of ideas - would you give the Nine Present Shuffle a go?


Disclaimer: This isn't a sponsored post, but I can definitely say I've bought none of the above ideas this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?