Saturday, 10 May 2014

Eat: Oat and Banana Cookies

Healthy Oat and Banana cookies

At the moment, I'm currently trying to eat healthily. So far, this has involved changing from my regular toast for breakfast to Bran Flakes (or Wheetabix and a banana chopped up on top, but I've found out this makes me quite ravenous. Only being able to eat two as a Healthy Option on Slimming World is a bit mean, have you seen how tiny the Tesco Value Wheetabix are?), a big portion of salad (currently loving fresh peppers and gherkins), complete with four crackers and hummus, fresh pineapple, a low fat soya yoghurt and a Bear Yoyo for lunch, and a nice big healthy dinner in the evenings. And drinking water, plenty of water. I have, amazingly, managed to cut right back on the chocolate, crisps, and treats, trying to limit my crisp intake to Friday lunchtimes only, and apart from feeling really hungry for the first two weeks, I am now settling into a routine, and it feels good.

I have lost no weight, though. Which is a bummer.

Anyway, I digress. Sometimes you really need a nice healthy treat, something that reminds you of biscuits, but aren't. I've seen a recipe kicking around online (one of those pictures shared around on Pinterest) for healthy biscuits. It claims to have no sugar, but is still ideal for getting a sweet fix. I knew I had to try it. So, here it is. (I have no idea where this recipe originated, if you do know, let me know so I can credit you)

Healthy Oat and Banana cookies

You need:

  • Three ripe mashed bananas
  • 1/3 cup apple sauce (I used the crunchy kind but you can also use the smooth)
  • 2 cups of porridge oats
  • 1/4 cup soya milk or other milk alternative
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

How to make them:
  1. Get a big bowl and mash up the bananas (please peel them first), before adding the rest of the ingredients listed above. 
  2. Give it a really good stir until it's all combined.
  3. Line two baking trays with baking paper and turn the oven on to 176°c. 
  4. Using a teaspoon, make approximately 18 cookies on the tray. 
  5. Pop them into the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown/not sticking to the baking paper. 
  6. Let them cool down, and eat them!

My verdict? You can definitely tell they're sugar free, but there's a nice, pleasing sweetness which appears from the apple sauce and banana combo. Apparently, there are recipes going around which involve adding chocolate chips to it, but I'm currently hoping not to go down that road yet... however, I can say I've eaten several so far and I have enjoyed them. Instead of a pleasing biscuitty crunch is more of a soft, rubbery texture, but to be fair, these are better than I expected and I can forgive that!

Have you tried these before, if so, what did you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?