Thursday, 22 May 2014

Eat: The Happiest Chocolate Dessert, Ever

Healthy Chocolate Avocado Pudding

I utterly love chocolate, but as you might remember, I'm on a diet! (Still going well, by the way) I do enjoy a treat now and again, so I decided to make a healthy dessert I spied online at A Beautiful Mess. When I first made it, I was an avocado newbie. Completely new to how avocados work, and how they ripen. I had no idea at the time that it was still rock hard and making the recipe was a total nightmare. It took forever to blend the avocado! Even worse was when I took my first taste and promptly had to spit it out. It was so bitter!

But I wasn't going to give up, after a few tweaks the first attempt became edible, and really lovely, like eating a dark chocolate brownie. Could you believe that something that tasted so amazing was actually really healthy?

So, today, I decided to make it again, but with a twist on the original recipe. I don't know if you've ever tried the Cadbury Pots of Joy, but they're always on offer at the local Co-op and, B.D. (before diet), I've been caught out a few times. 64p for two melted Dairy Milks in pots? Uh, yes, please!

However, we all know by now I'm a dairy free girl, so eating a product loaded with double cream is a very bad idea for my health. So it's a double edged sword. Either eat the nice pudding and be ill, or don't eat it and crave chocolate. What a decision! Luckily this recipe is fairly healthy. There's just a bit of sugar in it, that's all...

I had a look in the cupboard and decided that today, I was going to use Cadbury Hot Chocolate to help make my dessert. So... with all that aside, let's give it a go, shall we?

This recipe is adapted from the original recipe here.

You will need:

  • One avocado, ripened (Ripe avocados are squishy but firm when you squeeze them. Look at the stalk end and peel the little button off. It should be green inside. If it's brown, it's gone off - throw it away!)
  • 1/2 cup of Cadbury Hot Chocolate powder (or regular cocoa powder)
  • 1/2 cup of soya milk
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional, although if you use regular cocoa powder, I think it's a good idea)

How to make it:

  1. Cut open your avocado and take out the stone. Scoop out the insides of the avocado, which should be a nice green inside - remember, brown = gone off! Chop it into little pieces and put it in a blender. Add the hot chocolate/cocoa powder and vanilla to the blender. Don't turn it on just yet!
  2. Heat the soya milk and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves. Take it off the heat and pour it into the blender.
  3. Start blending the mixture, until it's completely smooth. Give it a little taste with a spoon, especially if you've used cocoa powder. If it's not sweet enough, add more sugar to taste and give it another blend.
  4. Once you have a nice, smooth mixture, pour the mixture into bowls (if you're serving more than one person) or into one big bowl if you feel like eating the whole lot in one go. I won't tell if you don't.
  5. But before you can eat it, put the bowl(s) in the fridge for a few hours. Then you should just grab a spoon and eat it.

I was so chuffed when I tried the dessert, as it tastes just like the infamous Pots of Joy. And it's a little bit healthier, too. I say you should give it a go!

Have you tried this before, if so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?