Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Adventures: The Ultimate Summer Driving Playlist

Lifeboat Shelter

Is it just me or when you go away on holiday you absolutely must have a playlist to accompany that long drive to your holiday destination? Regular readers to the blog know my family and I are a huge fan of the Pembrokeshire coastline and the roadtrip to the destination itself is always an adventure in itself. We always, always, always set off at about 7.30am in the morning (after getting up at 6am, which involves a quick shower, getting ready and breakfast for everyone, oh, and the mad dash of remembering to pack alarm clocks, toothbrushes, hairbrushes etc on top of the mad packing we've done the night before... am I the only one alone in this?) and along the journey through the beautiful Brecons, the two Llans (that would be Llandeilo and Llandovery with a brief giggle at the sign pointing to Bethlehem) and Carmarthen, my brother and I have a playlist battle. Two mix CDs each. Whatever we like on it. The more eclectic the better. Let battle commence! A light bit of sibling rivarly aside, it's a great chance for us to bond and to educate each other in our latest musical discoveries. My Mum, the driver, doesn't mind either way as long as it's got a good beat. :)

When Moneysupermarket asked me to compile my ultimate summer driving playlist, I had a mild spot of panic. Do I write about my all time favourites, or what I'm into right now? Decisions, decisions. Oh well, here goes! I might try and add in a few top tips for making playlists as I go. (There is a science to this kind of thing, don't ya know? Actually... no, there isn't. I just bung all my current favourites into a playlist on iTunes and sort them by favourites and genre until I get something that resembles a playlist before putting it on a CD. Really.)

1. Do You Want It All? - Two Door Cinema Club (Always, always start your playlist with an upbeat number, preferably one that you're currently loving right now and one that won't get on your nerves too quickly on repeated listens!)
2. It's Tricky - Run DMC (Always include at least one classic. Run DMC goes down really well in our house!)
3. Girl Like Me - Ladyhawke
4. Hey Ya! - Outkast
5. I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift (Don't feel afraid to group songs based on their tempo... sometimes how the songs start and end make all the difference to the feel of a playlist)
6. Don't Stop (Colour On The Walls) - Foster The People
7. Dirty Mind - The Pipettes (Try and choose the stuff you like, and if it's completely obscure and it gets people talking about your choices and what you're into, the more the better!)
8. I'm Not Your Hero - Tegan & Sara
9. Two - Lenka
10. Tightrope - Janelle Monae
11. Feel The Love - Rudimental (Top tip for anyone with a car stereo - find out how to adjust the volume, bass and treble. You'll know what I mean if you've ever made anyone jump by accidentally adjusting the volume too high and not being able to find the button to turn it down.)
12. Lights On - Katy B
13. If You Wanna - The Vaccines
14. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen (Because if it makes your family scream "Noooooooo! Why on earth have you put this on here?" then you know you're onto a winner.)
15. Gangnam Style - Psy. (Ditto.)
16. 1234 - Feist (I start to draw the tempo down at about this point...)
17. Girls And Boys In Love - The Rumble Strips
18. Some Nights - Fun. (Always include a guilty pleasure song.)
19. When You Were Young - The Killers
20. Handbags & Gladrags - Stereophonics (Oh, this one. This one appeared in a playlist last year and pretty much made the journey amazing as we wound around the country roads. My brother chose it in his playlist. It came as part of a Welsh musical sandwich of the Manic Street Preachers (You Stole The Sun From My Heart) and Feeder (Seven Days In The Sun) - My day was made. Honest.)

And there you have it. Not my best effort by any means but as the years go on you'll be able to look back at the previous years' efforts and smile (I hope.) Happy driving, whatever you've got planned this year! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?