Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Wednesday Words: The Wet Stuff

wednesdaywords copy

It tipped down!

Rain is supposed to be good, isn't it? I used to hate rain a lot as a very young child, at primary school, as rain equalled wet play and wet play equalled watching a video. I was a strange child, I used to hate having to watch TV with my classmates, instead, preferring to watch the same old Postman Pat and Pingu videos on a loop by myself at home, sometimes punctuated by Thunderbirds and Transformers (my brother would be the one who watched that) - I preferred going outside in the playground and running around, around and around the big oak tree.

When it clouded over, in the mornings, I'd say: "Is it going to rain? I don't want it to rain." My mum would say, "It has to rain, because it will water all the crops, sweetheart." "But I don't want it to rain," I'd cry, "It means wet play." I'd sigh and feel annoyed. Wet play sucks!

As I got older I began to see rain in a different light. One day it rained so hard I could hear the water dripping down through the trees, birds still singing relentlessly as it tipped down. The sound of rain bashing the window often makes me jump. The sound of droplets on the roof, late at night or early in the morning, relaxes me.

Sat in the car during a downpour, the water drips and merges on the windscreen, the colours blending together as one. Then the windscreen wiper comes along and scrubs the artwork clean. Lather... rinse... repeat. Sometimes little drops form making their own patterns. The windows steam up, my finger comes along and writes a message. Last week it was I Like Turtles, written backwards so that other drivers can see it as we drive along. No one knows it was me... it's in the passenger side, in the back. I like turtles!


Wednesday Words is my new attempt at writing a little bit every Wednesday documenting untold stories from my life and some of my own personal embarrassing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?