Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Wednesday Words: Sparks

wednesdaywords copy

November the 5th

Last Monday night was Bonfire Night. Basically, in the UK, it's a night of setting off fireworks, mostly at public displays, but some folk do it in their back gardens too. There's sparklers, hats and gloves and scarves and an awful lot of scared pets. And a few scared adults too, namely me. (If you don't expect the bangs, you have every right to jump) This year most of the public fireworks displays in my local area were called off because of the torrential rain. Which meant we had to rely on the people having fireworks parties in their back gardens.

Although I absolutely don't like the popping, whizzing and banging that comes hand in hand with fireworks, and the idea of holding a sparkler fills me with a fear comparable to going bungee jumping, I've always wanted to capture fireworks in a photograph (or thirty).

When the fireworks began, I threw my coat on over my pyjamas, shoved my feet in a pair of old trainers, and ran out with my camera. Except, by the time I got to the back garden, the fireworks had stopped. Gutted, I tried to take a photo, but my camera refused to focus while set to Aperture Priority. Great, I thought. How does shutter speed work again, exactly?

Turning my back and walking back to the house, the fireworks started up again. Again, I missed my opportunity to take a shot. And cursed, silently. I went back in again, coat still on, in the hope it would start again. But it didn't. I didn't want to go out in the cold again, so I decided to sit back down on my laptop, about to write about how much I hate missing out on a great photo op, when the fireworks started up again.

This time, I decided to run upstairs and look out of my window. Still no luck with AP mode, so I went for Tv instead. I slid the dial up and down, no idea exactly what I was doing, but finally, FINALLY, fireworks rose up into the sky, exploding up and out, and I caught it. My first firework shot. Complete with sparks. It was dynamite.



Wednesday Words is my new attempt at writing a little bit every Wednesday documenting untold stories from my life and some of my own personal embarrassing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?