Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Wednesday Words: Beach Bubbles

wednesdaywords copy

Beach bubbles

Regular readers to the blog will know just how in love I am with the seaside. I can't resist it, the water, the smell of salt in the air, waves, spotting jellyfish that look just like carrier bags, pebbles, seashells, sand between my toes, a warm breeze, sunlight, everything. To me, the shore is magical. Watching the waves crash backwards and forwards, the light refracting off the water, twinkling brightly, weaving its spell over me. I'm captivated by it, and feel at my happiest with my feet firmly on the sand.

I've made memories on the beach. I've almost been stung by jellyfish, I've had a go at trying to surf (that didn't go very well, if I'm honest), I've had an impromptu beach picnic after trekking to the shop for ice cream (and sandwiches), I've attempted to have a photo taken with my brother which ended in my brother getting a phone call (the photos taken in sequence show us squinting, looking in opposite directions and then finally a shot of my brother pulling his phone from his pocket...) - but if there is one memory I will always remember is the time we blew bubbles on the beach.

The day before we paid a visit to the RNLI in Tenby, and as you do we spent a bit of time in the gift shop... after seeing a really huge boat and several videos on their work I didn't know how I was going to donate, so I spotted a pot of bubbles for the princely sum of 50p... and the rest, as they say, was history. The next day, upon hitting the beach at Amroth I made sure to pull out my bubbles and take them with me.

Bubbles

After a bracing walk along the beach and plenty of photographs, I produced the bubbles and started to blow them. The blue sky was shining bright, the air was extremely warm (even in October) and the bubbles were plentiful. I sat back and watched as the bubbles flew away, destined to brighten the days of everyone they met. I don't know about you but there's something amazing about bubbles. Surely some science behind it too, and it boggles my mind to think of how and why it works. But it does, and it makes me happy to see them.

Bubbles are one of the things which make me extremely, extremely happy, and to combine them with the sand between my toes and the sun on my back made for a beautiful photo and a beautiful memory. So for anyone going on holiday to the beach this year who fancies doing something a little bit different this year, go and blow bubbles on the beach. You won't regret it.




Wednesday Words is my new attempt at writing a little bit every Wednesday documenting untold stories from my life and some of my own personal embarrassing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?