Friday, 17 August 2012

Eat: Quickie Chocolate Cookies

Cookie? #yum

I did have this all written and ready to post, but for some reason my computer blacked out halfway through and then when I came back to Blogger, it had eaten half of my post! Gah! Never mind, let's start again, shall we?

I've not done much this past week or so, it's been blissfully quiet! A trip to the beach, a trip shopping, loads of sleep, eating yummy food, sitting down, and, um, not doing anything I really aimed to achieve this week from my to do list... (to be fair I'm beginning to catch up on it now, but it's taken a while - and plus, sitting down is fun.) There is one thing I did this week while procrastinating though... bake chocolate cookies. And, oh, what a great idea I had there.

A friend gave me this recipe a very long time ago and I've loved making them whenever I've had the urge. The original recipe called for almost industrial sized quantities, and I soon realised after putting my seventh tray of cookies into bake that I really should have made half! After another few attempts of baking with half the ingredients I decided to halve the quantities again. It's much more manageable this way, and you won't need so many willing family, friends and neighbours to help you eat the finished product. Unless of course you want to...

The best thing about this recipe? It only takes four ingredients, all of which are really easy to find (and would almost certainly be in your cupboards) - and easy to put together. I made mine dairy free by using a soya spread - it makes the mixture come together more easily. In fact, this is such a quick and simple recipe you could even let your kids have a go at it (with supervision when it comes to the baking part) - let me know what you think!

As an aside, I decided to roll the dough into a huge sausage and then wrap it in baking paper, before bunging it into the fridge to chill overnight. I did this because the sofa was calling my name and it got too hard to ignore. If you do this, bear in mind you should ideally bake them within a reasonable length of time. I reckon twenty four to forty-eight hours is enough. By that time you'll be desperate to bake them, I'm sure of it... it won't be the sofa calling your name, it'll be the oven...

Right, here goes it!

You will need:

4.5oz self raising flour
4oz soya spread (like Vitalite or Pure - you can always use real unsalted butter too, I used to back in the day when I was a dairy monster)
2.5oz caster sugar
1oz cocoa powder (None of this proper cocoa powder stuff? Cadbury's Hot Chocolate works really well too, but shh, don't tell anyone!)

You need to do this:

1. Heat the oven to 180°c while you make the dough, unless your sofa is known to shout your name, and you would rather chill the mixture overnight as a precaution, in which case, skip this part altogether!
2. Get a bowl out. Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl. Get a wooden spoon out and mix the dry ingredients together until it's all, well, mixed together.
3. Add the spread and bash it with a spoon, mixing it with the dry ingredients for a good ten to fifteen minutes until it all becomes a pleasing dough. It should look like fudge. Good, chocolate-y fudge.
4. If your sofa is calling your name, make a sausage, and wrap it in baking paper before laying it flat in the fridge to chill. If your sofa doesn't have the ability to talk (or you're good at ignoring it), make a large, long sausage anyway and start cutting it into sections of about half an inch thick. You should have enough for fifteen cookies or so depending on how thin you cut the sausage...
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper and start putting on your cookies leaving enough room for them to breathe. Depending on the size of the trays you can fit about nine on in three rows of three.
6. Finally put them in the oven for 20 minutes or until they're cooked, or cookied as I almost wrote... Cooked cookies aren't squidgy in the middle, just firm, and have a rock solid bottom. Repeat with the next load of cookies.
7. Get a fish slice and a plate and scoop the cookies on the plate. Leave them to cool down, and then eat.
8. Done - the chocolate cookies are ready to go. How about serving them warm with a bit of vanilla icecream? Then, finally, you can sit on your sofa (which must be hoarse from shouting at you to come and sit down, I bet) and do some well earned sitting down. With a cookie. Oh yes.

I hope you enjoyed making these cookies - let me know how you got on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?