Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Wednesday Words: That's Not My Name

wednesdaywords copy

UK Writing Blog

What name comes to mind when you see my face? If you got anything other than my real name, then don't worry. It happens all the time!

I'm a Rachael, with an A after the H. The extra A was added to make my name more unique - my original name was going to be Sally-Ann but this changed. I like my name, it sounds sophisticated. But I'm far from sophisticated (not saying I'm completely common though, just down to earth... I hope) - I'm just, me, I guess! Although it's been very rare that people actually get my name correct. I've been told that I look like other names. I have no idea how you can look like a name...

Once I was called Sarah - when I explained my real name, as embarrassing to the person in question as that might be, I had hoped that would have solved the situation. But, a week later, I got called Sarah again - by the same person! In the end I resigned myself to being called Sarah and even started answering to it. It's not that I was lazy, it was a bit tiring having to explain myself over, and over, and over. I was just being polite. And there was that one time I got called Sally - what a spooky concidence that was given the history... I felt weird, that's for sure!

It's funny really, you would think with a fairly simple and well known name like Rachael it would be fairly easy to spell. But, you would actually be wrong. Very wrong.

UK Writing Blog

Over the years I've had so many variations of my own name spelt for me. From the usual rookie error of Rachel without the A to the lesser spotted Rachale I've seen it all, and read it all. And you know what? It's fine. Sometimes it's annoying, especially when you receive important letters with a misspelt name (although thankfully that's been put right) and often frustrating when people write your name down wrong when they really should know the correct spelling but I've learnt to let it go. For the most part, anyway.

In the end, to avoid any confusion I like to just be called Rach - it's one syllable, and I like it. Although I now feel like singing That's Not My Name at everyone who ever dares misspell my name or calls me Sarah.


--
Wednesday Words is my new attempt at writing a little bit every Wednesday, documenting untold stories from my life and some of my own personal embarrassing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?