Saturday, 31 March 2012

Sunday Read*: Withering Tights - A Midsummer's Tights Dream by Louise Rennison

Untitled

I absolutely love Louise Rennison. I remember reading Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging, aged twelve, and laughing so hard I almost cried. Her books are filled with characters with hilariously daft turns of phrase and situations which are just so brilliant and laugh out loud funny - which has to be perfect reading material if you ask me. I love books which are light hearted and not in the slightest bit serious. 

After the Georgia Nicolson series ended, Tallulah Casey's adventures began. This is the second book in the series. In the first book we met Tallulah, attending a summer school hosted by a performing arts college in a teeny Yorkshire village full of some truly crazy, some truly scary and some definitely loveable characters. Without giving away much she's now attending the college full time and looking forward to seeing her friends again! And yes, she's still staying with Dibdobs, the Scout leader who is quite possibly 99% made out of wool, her husband Harold, who is also into knitting and sewing on buttons made of pebbles from Skegness beach, and the twins, who enjoy making creatures out of potato. Throughout the book we watch Tallulah go through some pretty awkward moments with possibly the scariest teacher ever, Dr Lightowler; spending lunchtime with her Tree Sisters chatting about boys; hanging out with Ruby, a cheeky ten year old with a bulldog who refuses to do anything; and boys. Quite a few of them, actually. Which one will Tallulah choose?

I did not stop laughing from the minute I started the book to the moment I finished it. The Yorkshire village Tallulah stays in is like an episode of Emmerdale. I particularly love the Hinchcliffe brothers who are stroppy, slightly evil, and in a band together (which breaks up and reforms more times than I've had hot dinners) - and the Bottomley sisters who have the best names ever (I won't spoil it for you - you'll need to read it for yourself but I almost died laughing at the description of their Mum) - amongst all the infighting in the village, a truly touching moment halfway through, and the antics at the performing arts college Tallulah jots down her ideas in her secret notebook with a plum on the front. What I love about Tallulah is that she's a more grown up version of Georgia Nicolson (who happens to be her wise older cousin with a new found penchant for finding awesome clothes and boy snogging advice) - I love that even though she's not amazing at acting, dancing or singing she never gives up. You'll end this book laughing and swooning a little and most of all, thinking, "You go, girl!" - Tallulah Casey is one brilliantly rounded character and I can't wait for book three. Roll on next year!


*Oh, the reason why this Sunday Read is here on a Saturday is because of my busy day tomorrow. But still, it's a fab Sunday Read. I promise. And I will get better at my book photos using Instagram...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?