Sunday, 25 March 2012

Sunday Read: Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella


Mini Shopaholic



As well as reading books aimed at the young adult market I also enjoy reading some chick lit novels, and one of the series I really love is the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I’ve followed the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood from the start – from starting out as a single girl in debt to a married lady with a baby (and still a bad shopping habit) – I literally jumped at the chance to read the latest title in the series, Mini Shopaholic.

We join Becky, Luke and her hilarious daughter, Minnie at about Christmas time. After a disastrous visit to a toy shop, Becky decides it’s a really wise idea to give Minnie pocket money. Minnie is two years old and has no idea what her Mum’s on about, but she gets a pony out of it so that’s alright. After Minnie single handedly destroys a Christmas display (I almost died laughing), Becky’s family are left wondering if Minnie is completely out of control. Along the way there’s a christening, the recession, and Becky’s secret plan to throw Luke a surprise party for his birthday. But will Becky pull it off on her own?

I really enjoyed Mini Shopaholic as it had me laughing an awful lot – and I love that in a good book! Minnie is possibly one of the funniest children I have ever seen – she is so well captured, crazy but lovable – how many toddlers do you know who are able to hail a taxi? The lists and letters at the start of every chapter also had me cracking up, especially a snippet from a list of all of Becky’s clothes. There was plenty in the book that made me shout out in horror – Becky does get herself into some seriously awkward situations but she deals with them in such genius ways. I shall never look at a box of computer paper in the same way again! I now cannot wait for another book and hope it doesn’t take long until it’s published. Seriously – read it, it is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?