Thursday, 11 August 2011

Untangled

I've always had really knotty, messy hair: When I was little I used to have really messy hair in the mornings and after a bath, and I used to cry or wince when I brushed it, not that I was evil and brushed it really hard, just that it hurt. I don't have the best pain threshold in the world (hello, stubbed toe) but knotted hair is by far one of the worst pains ever.

Lately though, it has been really getting quite bad. So bad in fact that I could try and run my hairbrush through it and the hairbrush would get stuck there (really) and stay there for at least ten minutes if I left it (yes, really) for that length of time. I have photos, but I will save my blushes and keep them to myself! In fact, I'll admit one day I had a few tears as it hurt that bad. I tried using conditioner every day in an attempt to reduce the agony, but despite this, it still didn't work. I really was at my wits' end.

Until I discovered this amazing slice of brilliance one day randomly browsing on ASOS:

Tangle Teezer

This hot pink brush, ladies (and gentlemen), is my Tangle Teezer. It's designed specially to unknot hair without the pain. There are so many uses for it - including helping to distribute conditioner, as well as smoothing the hair and keeping it looking nice.

It's not like a traditional hairbrush, either, it's handle-free and is designed just to hold in your palm and get straight to brushing, which for me, I found a bit hard at first and kept dropping it! Oops. There's also a different bristle pattern to your average hairbrush - as well as the first main, tall section of bristles, there's also a second row of tinier, shorter bristles, too.

As for brushing? It's brilliant! When I first received the Tangle Teezer I had just finished a day's work and therefore it wasn't really knotty, but I gave it a shot anyway. I was very impressed with how smooth, straight and shiny my hair became after brushing it through. The real test came the next day after a shower, and a hair wash. I know you're not meant to brush wet hair because of damage, however I really don't have time in the mornings, and the more you leave knotted hair to dry the worse it becomes. So I just bite the bullet and do it.

I was so pleasantly surprised with the lack of pain! I've never felt so relieved in my life - knowing that it doesn't hurt to brush my hair. It takes roughly five minutes less using a Tangle Teezer than using a regular hairbrush, and I will even admit that my GHD hairbrush is redundant now. It takes a few tugs to get some knots out, but once you do that, it cuts straight through it. It's marvellous! It doesn't part my hair very well though, but if you use the brush in a vertical fashion rather than horizontal sweeping manoeuvers it will do it - I've learnt that through experience!

I also loved the little leaflet supplied with the Tangle Teezer too - it explains all about the science of hair and follicles - and how to use the Tangle Teezer. I particularly love how it tells you not to be shy when using it! I think that it's perfect for anyone with long hair, or hair that gets knotted a lot. But particularly, if you have a little girl or boy with longish hair who dreads having their hair washed, this is absolutely perfect. Just think of all the tears you'll save at bathtime. I wish I had one of these when I was younger, that's for sure.

There's also a handbag friendly version too, which is next on my list. Consider me hooked! Well, untangled, anyway.

Tangle Teezer on ASOS
Tangle Teezer online

Disclaimer: I'm unrelated to Tangle Teezer, honest - I just love their products.

2 comments:

  1. I have one to & it is briillllant! Got it it orange :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really couldn't be without mine - it's simply brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you, I'm not at home
Please leave a comment on my comment box... er, phone?